So I am trying a new method this time. Instead of peeling them you just quarter and cook them then run them through this metal contraption with a wooden pestle.
I have to say I like this method much easier than peeling all by hand. Sure you get a little less per batch because of the space the peels/cores take up in the pan, but in my opinion it's easier. This is all the waste I got out of one batch.
I worked all day on this... That is because you have too cook it slowly and I had a lot of interruptions and other things to do. All I ended up with after a days labor was 10 quarts. I know it's a old fashioned thing to do when you can buy it in the store for $2. And I know it tastes better and is all natural but is it really worth the work? I guess you have to decide that for yourself but for me I get done sort of primal satisfaction knowing I am "preparing" for Winter and "providing" for my family. It's free for us other than the labor and electricity and it brings me a lot of joy when in a few months the kids will say "this is so good Mommy"!
By the way one of the interruptions today was getting the goats back in their pen after they escaped and were eating my pear and apple trees! This was not the pruning I had in mind! I guess we are not the only ones who enjoy the ripe fruit. :)




I'm impressed and jealous! And I didn't know you have goats...
ReplyDeleteOur trees are loaded...I mean LOADED! You can't even tell I picked anything off. I guess its been a bumper crop for everyone this year but this is our first year that they produced so I am not sure what normal is. Anyone who wants any apples or pears come on over and pick away. I did 6 quarts of applesauce yesterday. I am almost done and like I said you can't even tell I picked any. Our yellow delicious tree did well but our granny smith didn't. Anyway...
ReplyDeleteYes we have goats, they are so much fun and help eat the weeds the cows won't touch. The only issue is the ornery buggers keep finding ways to escape. We have patched hole after hole and they still find a way to make a new one.
Oh and I have killed a million gnats and there are still a ton in the house. :)